Orbit Health is a company that provides high quality telepsychiatry services- mental health care delivered remotely via technology. We provide services to correctional facilities, hospitals, clinics, and residential youth homes. Our services include inpatient and outpatient care. We also have a forensic expert witness group that assists attorneys and courts in matters that involve mental health.
Above all else, our mission is to help end the cycle of mass incarceration of the mentally ill by serving the psychiatric needs of vulnerable people in the community. Our goal is to provide value to the health systems and facilities we serve.
- Honesty, integrity, and accountability in all business dealings
- A commitment to high quality care and patient advocacy
- Efficiency, efficacy, and safety
- Delivering great value to our partner organizations
- Hiring and retaining excellent staff that have diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences
- A culture of teamwork and trust among our staff, our partners, and our patients
- An enjoyable and fulfilling work environment for our staff
- Ongoing quality improvement and a rigorous pursuit of excellence
- A belief that every problem has a solution that can be achieved through optimism, teamwork and determination
Edward Kaftarian, MD
Edward Kaftarian, M.D. is an internationally recognized expert and pioneer in Telepsychiatry and founder of the field of study coined Cyberpsychiatry. He currently serves on the Telepsychiatry Committee for the American Psychiatric Association and is a member of the Steering Committee for PsychCongress, the largest independent mental health educational conference in the United States. He is the former Vice Chair of Mental Health for the American Telemedicine Association. He has published several articles and book chapters on virtual health, including as co-author of the seminal paper, Best Practices in Videoconferencing-Based Telemental Health.
Through this career, Dr. Kaftarian has served in a multitude of executive positions for the California prison system, including Chief Psychiatrist, Senior Psychiatrist, Medical Director, and Director of Pharmacy. As a representative for California Correctional Healthcare Services, Dr. Kaftarian has served alongside Federal Court monitors on extensive quality improvement audits for prisons throughout the State of California.
For several years, Dr. Kaftarian served as Statewide Chief of Telepsychiatry for the California prison system. Under his leadership, the program transformed into the largest and most comprehensive correctional telepsychiatry program in the world.
Dr. Kaftarian completed his psychiatry training at the world renowned Johns Hopkins University. He is Board Certified in Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, and Addiction Medicine.